Follow me on Facebook

Monday, March 1, 2021

NZ Warriors 2021 Season Preview: Return of the Pack


Well, we are finally here, the NRL is back, and the first round is only a few weeks away.
That also means that it's time for me to express how I see the Warriors going in 2021. As I did last year, I will be breaking down my preview into sections outlining my views on the preseason and trial result, my key signing, the 2021 squad, my gameday 17 and then rounding it up with my 2021 prediction.
As always, these are all just my thoughts and opinions, and I'm always interested in hearing your thoughts too, so if you want to share your views, comment below and let me know what you think.

Preseason News: Road Warriors Once Again

2020 was a season to remember; the Warriors had a tough start to the season, finding themselves camped across the ditch for the entire year. They also started the season poorly, with many questioning if not seeing their families would derail their campaign. This horrid start led to Stephen Kearney's firing midway through the season.
I had concerns when Kearney was let go, not because of the decision but the timing, and I was concerned that when he left the camp, the team might just pack it in; however, as the season progressed, the side developed grit, and from Round 11 they started to show that they could compete with the elite teams in the competition, narrowly missing the top eight.
Not making the top eight is still a fail for me, but the way the club ended the season definitely made me feel more confident for their 2021 campaign.

The biggest stories in the Warriors 2021 preseason have been Covid and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's decision to leave at the end of the season.

Covid continues to affect everyone, and for the Warriors, it means that they have had to move back to Australia with the possibility of being there for the entire season again. It's a tough situation for the club and the fans alike, but the Warriors had time to prepare for this situation this time and have really set themselves up for success. They split the team into two camps, one in New Zealand and one in Australia before Christmas and then sent the New Zealand contingent over in January to continue the preseason. Going early is great for the players' preparation, and bringing their families over will make being stuck in Australia easier.

With a recent covid scare in Victoria, it meant the Warriors first trial game against the Storm had to be cancelled; that's a huge blow for the Warriors as it only allows them one trial match to give the squad a run. It's not ideal, but it's the world we currently live in.
With the changes of lockdown levels in Auckland, I grow less confident that the Warriors will be able to play any matches at Mount Smart in 2021; as a season ticket holder, I hope that isn't the case because I miss going to live games but just like the club we need to just wait it out and hope for the best.

Copyright Photo: New Zealand Herald

Rumours started to swirl again about Tuivasa-Sheck leaving the Warriors to go to Rugby Union and push for an All Black's jersey. The club decided to get ahead of the rumours and make a statement advising that RTS would be leaving at the end of the season and that he is solely focused on the Warriors right now.
It's disappointing to see the Warriors skipper leave, but after everything he has done for the club, I fully respect his aspirations and hope he does well in the other code. He has been a truly inspiring leader, and I have no doubts that he will be true to his words about focusing solely on the Warriors this season.
I also commend the Warriors for making the announcement early, it's out there now, and they get back to preparing for the season.

With RTS leaving, it also gifts the Warriors a serious chunk of change in their salary cap to either replace him from outside the club or recruit a marque player in another position.
Every player off contract has been linked with the club, but one player that seems to be a legitimate option is Jahrome Hughes; I like him as a player and think he could be a great addition to the club, but the rumoured price for his services seems a bit high for me. 
He would most likely move into the Warriors halves, which still leaves the fullback position open. Joseph Manu is another rumoured player. He has stated his desire to move to fullback so he could be an exciting prospect. Internally the Warriors also have Paul Turner and Rocco Berry. Depending on how much game time they both get this year, the club may decide to give one of them a chance. I think Berry is still too inexperienced right now, but Turner is almost ready and deserves a first-grade spot, so I would be giving him the first shot.

With the Warriors being in Australia, it has meant that the local fans have not had a lot of chances to be involved with the club as they prepare for 2021. To alleviate this, Cameron George has created a Facebook page called On the Road with the Vodafone Warriors 2021. On this page, he basically goes around with a GoPro and films the facilities, trainings and interviews players and coaches. I love it and think the insight it gives the fans is top-notch, and I look forward to watching more of the videos he uploads throughout the season.

There was also a brief bit of news surrounding Nathan Brown and his decision to pull Tohu Harris, Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi Nikorima from the All-Stars match. Some people did not agree with his decision, but I am ok with it; with limited time to prepare for the start of the season, the Warriors could not afford to allow three of their key players to leave the camp for the match. I enjoy the All-Stars game, but I would prefer the Warriors to focus on the upcoming season. The Warriors did allow Jamayne Taunoa-Brown and Joshua Curran to play in the match, and I thought they both played well, which will help their chances of featuring in the gameday 17.

The Warriors also announced their leadership group on one of Cameron Georges video; the players in the group are Tuivasa-Sheck, Tohu Harris, Addin Fonua-Blake, Wayde Egan, Ken Maumalo and Elisea Katoa. I think it's a good group of talent, and I hope the extra responsibility they now have will take their performances to another level.

Lastly, let's talk about the Warriors solo trial against the Gold Coast Titans at Oakes Oval in Lismore. Both sides were basically full strength, with the Warriors only having David Fusitu'a, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Eliesa Katoa and Karl Lawton unavailable for the match.
The game ended in a 12 all draw, and both sides looked rusty, which is to be expected, but by the end of the match, I was confident that the Warriors will be competitive this season.
That forward pack is pretty potent, easily marching up the field, led by Fonua-Blake, who was my standout in the forwards. Ben Murdoch-Masila made an impact when he came on with some good runs; I think this forward pack will make all the difference this year, and it makes me really excited for round one. 
Wayde Egan's injury early on was my worst fear realised; it will make things difficult with limited hooking options. Jazz Tevaga and Bayley Sironen filled in for the rest of the match, and while they did a serviceable job, an actual Hooker needs to be used; there have been rumours that Junior Ratuva has been released from his contract due to his injury, which opens a spot in the squad for the Warriors to sign a hooker. Currently, the only hookers that are free that spring to mind are Danny Levi and Issac Luke (not going to mention Cameron Smith because that is not an option); I would be happy with either Levi or Luke, to be honest. Still, we just need to wait and see on Egan's injury first. 

If I had a negative to pull from the trial, it would be that I felt that the backline wasn't meshing just yet; I'm sure once Harris-Tavita returns, the backline will be more cohesive, but the Warriors struggled at times with their attacking options after the pack had got them on the front foot. They did show how good they could be with a few good runs from Tuivasa-Sheck and Nikorima showing some nice short passes; my standout in the backline was Euan Aitken; he made some nice runs and was solid on defence, helping keep David Fifta reasonably quiet. There were a few defensive lapses, but all in all, I think it was a good first hit-out, and it should be a great clash when they have their rematch against the Titans in Round One.

Key Signing: Addin Fonua-Blake
Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi

The Warriors marquee signing of 2021. Fonua-Blake comes into the Warriors camp as a top tier front-rower. Voted by his peers as the top front-rower in the NRL Players Poll in 2020, there is plenty of expectation on the 25-year-old, and I have little doubt that he will deliver.

In 2020, Fonua-Blake played 15 matches, averaging 166 running metres per game. The Warriors sorely need this as most of the Warriors other front rowers did not reach triple digits with their average running metres. He also finished the 2020 season with a 93.9% tackle efficiency; with missed tackles being one of my constant bugbears in my match reviews, he should be able to help the Warriors defend the middle.

In my Five Players to Stand Out Article, I highlighted my concerns with Fonua-Blake's discipline and attitude, but from what I have seen so far, he has reduced my worries a bit. He appears to be fitting into the squad well and is becoming a leader in the Warriors impressive pack, his inclusion in the Warriors leadership group fills me with confidence that he is just what this team needs.
I'm biased due to my love of front-rowers, but I truly cannot wait to see Fonua-Blake in Warriors colours.

2020 Squad
Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi

The 2021 squad has changed plenty compared to the 2020 one; gone are Gerard Beale, Adam Blair, Lachlan Burr, Blake Green, Patrick Herbert, Adam Keighran, Taane Milne, Agnatius Paasi, Isaiah Papali'i and Nathaniel Roache. Joining the club are Euan Aitken, Kane Evans, Addin Fonua-Blake, Marcelo Montoya, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Sean O'Sullivan and Bayley Sironen.

I'm a fan of most of the signings, and the Warriors now boast arguably one of the best packs in the NRL. They have recruited plenty of size, but their large players still have a bit of mobility, which is crucial with how the new rules have affected the game. Gone are the days of the big lumbering giants, now replaced with quicker players that can keep up with the newfound pace in the NRL.

It's still early days in the Nathan Brown regime, so I'm not entirely sure what players he has decided will fit his game plan. The only confirmation out so far is the Murdoch-Masila will not be playing in the front row like so many have predicted and would instead be on the edge like he was in the Superleague. It sounds like Peta Hiku and David Fusitu'a are reuniting, which is great news for Fusitu'a, and I expect his tryscoring to start ramping up again. This also means the Euan Aitken will pair up with Ken Maumalo. Both are good runners with the ball in hand, but Aitken sometimes has issues feeding his winger, so we will have to wait and see it's effect on Maumalo's game.

Unlike 2020, the Warriors are relatively injury-free, with the biggest concerns being Karl Lawton's Achilles injury, Wayde Egan's right arm injury and Eliesa Katoa's fractured eye socket. Lawton is set for a late-season return, but Katoa is still a slight chance to make round one, so for the gameday 17 I would pick, I will assume that Katoa is fit.
Egan's injury is a huge concern with the Warriors lack of depth in the hooker department; we are awaiting the outcome of how severe his injury is, but we may see Jazz Tevaga slot into hooker until Egan returns; I'm not a fan of it, but I think he is the best option right now.

For my 17, the backs basically pick themselves. Tuivasa-Sheck, Maumalo and Fusitu'a are my back three. Aitken and Hiku take the centre spots, and Kodi Nikorima and Chanel Harris-Tavita are my halves.
It's the forward pack that is harder to pick with so many players to pick from, but for my pack, I'm going with Addin Fonua-Blake and Leeson Ah Mau as my props; I think that is a great prop tandem to start the match and set the platform. My second row is Ben Murdoch-Masila and Eliesa Katoa; I would have Katoa on the right edge as his combination with Nikorima last year was very effective, then I would have Tohu Harris as my lock. 
For Hooker, I have put Egan in, but if he is not fit to play, Tevaga would move into the starting lineup, and Paul Turner would take his spot on my bench.
Speaking of the bench, I have Tevaga (or Turner), Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Josh Curran and Bayley Sironen. It's a bit forward heavy, but Tevaga, Turner and Sironen all have the ability to play in multiple positions if required. I originally had Kane Evans in my 17, but Curran's performances in the All-Star Game and the trial moved him up.




My 2020 Prediction

Continuing my season preview trend, I was wrong with my prediction when I said the Warriors would finish 12th last season.
For the first time in quite a while, the NRL pundits across the ditch have not handed the Warriors the title of "most likely to get the Wooden Spoon". 
The new signings and their 2020 late-season efforts have filled plenty with optimism. It's hard to argue against it, the Warriors are better on paper, and from what I have seen so far in the trial and all the footage the Warriors have filmed, it looks like the team is really building towards something. With it being Tuivasa-Shecks last year, I am certain that the team will be striving to send him out on a high note, so I'm picking the Warriors to finish 6th.

So, let's bring on the new season, and I can't wait for Round One. The Warriors get to start their campaign on my birthday, and I can't think of any better way to spend my birthday than watching them play.
Once again, I will be writing game reviews every week throughout the season, and I'm looking forward to discussing the season with all of you.
With the Warriors most likely spending the entire season in Australia again, there will be no members tent to meet up in. Still, hopefully, when the Warriors arrange some fan get-togethers, we can catch up and talk some football.

If you like what I'm doing here, please share my blog around with your friends and leave comments telling me how you think the season is going.
I've been kept on as the Warriors correspondent for Nothing But League this season, so please show them some love by checking out my articles on their page each week.
I'm also continuing to host my show The Stand-Off on New Zealand Sport Radio every Wednesday night at 8PM NZ time, so come join me there as I discuss everything going on in League and answer your questions live.

So that's my take on the Warriors upcoming season, and as usual, I will leave you with some questions.

Are you excited for the 2021 season?
Which signing are you most looking forward to seeing play?
Who would be in your gameday 17?
Where do you think the Warriors will finish in 2021?

7 comments:

  1. Great review & preview mate! Up the Warriors!!! Hooker a real worry now but I think with our fwd pack Jazz won’t have to do too much. Aitken will be close to our best signing. Tate comparison bang on!
    Enjoy your work mate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah hooker a concern, it sounds like Egan should be fit for round 2 so it may be a short term problem for now, just need to hope that he can stay fit for the rest of the year. But yes that forward pack should take plenty of pressure of Tevaga if he has to slot into hooker. Ive always been a fan of Aitken and think you could be right about him being the best signing, I'm still leaning towards AFB in that department but as the season progresses Aitken could get his nose in front.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely pumped for the new season. It's was so good to be able to watch the trial and there were a lot of promising signs.
    Of the new signings,the only player that had little impact was Kane Evans but that was prob more due to the timing of him being on the field, much like Paul Turner. Very excited by AFB and Aitken. I was also impressed with O'Sullivan and Montoya. So good to finally have some quality depth.

    My 17 is similar to yours. 1-10 is the same. I would have Katoa and Sironan at 11 and 12 with Tohu at lock. My bench would be BMM, JTB, Evans and either O'Sullivan or Turner. I'm actually a bit excited about Jazz playing Hooker again. He is a vastly different player to what he was when he was competing for that role with Nate Roaches. I find Egan very boring and not what a Hooker should be in the pace of the game. Jazz will be giving the opposition defence a lot of headaches with his running game.

    I'm hopeful for a 6th-7th finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it's great that the season is so close, been missing it which is a massive difference for me compared to the beginning of last season when I was really worried about how the Warriors would go.
    Yes, the depth is going to be crucial this year. Evans limited game time meant we saw very little in what he had to offer which is why he got dropped from my 17 but I think we will get a better indication of how he will go in Round 1. I've always liked Aitken, he has been a constant in my NRL fantasy team for years and I thought he had a great first hit out, I expect big things from him.

    Yeah thats not a bad 17 either, switching Sironen and BMM is probably what will actually happen and I think BMM could do some damage off the bench in limited spells until he has adjusted to the pace of the NRL.
    I still have hopes for Egan, I just need to see him behind this pack before I make up my mind, but with Jazz I think he will do well with whatever task Nathan Brown gives him.

    6th - 7th I think is a realistic finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comments Brad...perceptive as usual
    In the trial I thought Montoya and Murchison also played strongly,Both carried the ball strongly.It points to the depth that I don’t think we’ve had for a long time,
    Aitken was excellent and he with your choice Fonda Blake were equal men of the match
    Thanks again Brad.Look forward to your comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I think it was hard to pick anyone that overly played poor in the trial, great to see the new depth working.
      Fingers crossed it leads to a successful campaign.

      Delete