Follow me on Facebook

Monday, January 25, 2021

Five Players to Stand Out in 2021


With the 2021 season nearing and my season preview on hold until the preseason matches are played, I thought I would offer my opinions on the five players I think will have big seasons in Warriors colours. The rankings are in no particular order, so let's jump into my list.

1. Addin Fonua-Blake

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
First on my list is the Warriors marquee signing of 2021. Fonua-Blake comes into the Warriors camp as a top tier front-rower. Voted by his peers as the top front-rower in the NRL Players Poll in 2020, there is plenty of expectation on the 25-year-old, and I have little doubt that he will deliver.

In 2020, Fonua-Blake played 15 matches, averaging 166 running metres per game. The Warriors sorely need this as most of the Warriors other front rowers did not reach triple digits with their average running metres. He also finished the 2020 season with a 93.9% tackle efficiency, with missed tackles being one of my constant bugbears in my match reviews, he should be able to help the Warriors defend the middle.

Fonua-Blake discipline and attitude have been called into question in the past, most recently being sent off after fulltime last season in the Sea Eagles match against the Newcastle Knights for abusing the referee.
This is probably my biggest worry with Fonua-Blake because as many fans know the referees give the Warriors more than enough opportunities to have a go at them, so hopefully he has learnt his lesson and will focus on the game instead of the officials, leave the speaking with referees to the skipper.

His aggression is a welcome addition to the squad (look at the impact Jack Hetherington aggression brought to the side in 2020) and I cannot wait to see him run out in a Warriors jersey.


2. Eliesa Katoa

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
If Harry Grant wasn't playing last year, I believe Eliesa Katoa would have been the NRL's rookie of the year, with his limited experience in Rugby League Katoa exploded onto the scene and showed that he will be a star for the Warriors.
A strong runner and defender, I see no reason why Katoa won't go from strength to strength in 2021.

He managed 13 games in his first season in first grade and ended the season with 6 tries, 16 offloads and 99 averaged running metres, many of his tries came from the development of a great partnership with Kodi Nikorima and while his impact did dampen a bit when Kodi switched sides of the park. I hope the Warriors pair these two up again by moving Katoa to the right edge in 2021. 

The Warriors are stacked with quality second rowers this year. There will be ongoing battles for the gameday 17, internal competition is fantastic and Warriors fans can be sure that the players will be giving their all to ensure they earn their spot. Despite this competition, I would be making sure Katoa was in my 17.

If I had a concern with Katoa, it would be the dreaded second-year syndrome, it has hit many players in the NRL, but I have my fingers crossed that Katoa manages to avoid it.
By all accounts, Katoa is not only talented but extremely dedicated. With the Warriors forced to live, eat and train together once again, I am sure he is absorbing everything he can from the experienced players around him and will come out firing in 2021.


3. Wayde Egan

Copyright Photo: Warriors.Kiwi
Wayde Egan made my players to stand out in 2020 list, and I'm keeping him on the list once again.
I feel like there is no other player on the Warriors roster under more pressure than Egan, coming into this season many have raved about the Warriors roster (myself included). However, many have pointed at the hooker position as the sides biggest weakness. The loss of Karl Lawton to injury has not helped, and it will be up to Egan to carry the load.

I gave Egan a pass mark in 2020, and while there were parts of his game that I didn't like (the no-look passes for one), I saw enough to believe that he can get the job done this year.
With all the recent signings in the pack, the Warriors should have no issues getting some decent go forward this season. That should allow Egan to play his natural game and cement himself as the Warriors #1 hooker.

He is great at sniping out of dummy half, but we didn't really get to see a lot of that in 2020 with Egan only averaging 26 running metres a game, but again I think with this new look pack I expect to see that average increase. He also has quite a handy kicking game which will help the Warriors keep their opposition guessing and take some pressure of Nikorima and Chanel Harris-Tavita.

My biggest concern with Egan is his health, he has added several stints on the sideline with injuries and with the lack of hooker cover in the Warriors squad I have my fingers crossed the Egan can stay healthy and ultimately show everyone that the Warriors don't need to go sign a new hooker.

4. Bayley Sironen

Copyright Photo: Warriors.Kiwi
Out of all the people on this list, Bayley Sironen is the one I know the least about. 
Obviously, he comes from a well-known league family and has plenty of potential, so he is a really exciting signing that I look forward to learning more about.

He played 19 games for the Rabbitohs last season mostly from the bench playing in the second row but did play in the centres for his last match with the South Sydney side. He only averaged 78 running metres and 1 offload, but I am sure if given a chance Sironen will improve those stats.

As I mentioned above, the Warriors have plenty of talent in the second-row stocks, and it is going to be a great fight for whoever gets the nod, and I can't wait to see these young players push their claims.
I am certain that Sironen's ability to slot into the backline if required will ensure him a spot at least on the bench for the Warriors this season.


5. Ben Murdoch-Masila

Copyright Photo: NRL.com
My last pick is my personal favourite. 
Call me a fanboy, but I am a big fan of Murdoch-Masila and was over the moon when his signing was announced. His time in the NRL with the Wests Tigers and the Panthers wasn't a highlight reel, and he found himself in the Superleague a lot sooner than he probably would have expected, signing with the Salford Reds. 
However, when he moved to the Warrington Wolves, he really started to build some momentum and grow as a footballer, becoming a fan favourite in no time, and I have no doubts that he will do the same in Warriors colours.

A devastating runner with a penchant for the try line, Murdoch-Masila shows surprising speed for a large athlete and is a hard man to stop whenever he has the ball in hand. He also has a bit of skill when it comes to ball handling, putting his teammates into scoring positions with some nice short passes. He also doesn't hold back on the defensive side of the game, being a reliable defender with the ability to lay on the big hits when needed.

My concern for BMM is the jump from Superleague to NRL, while he was a star in the Superleague there is no denying that the NRL is a step up. However, I'm confident that he will have what it takes in the NRL this time around.

BMM suffered a scare this preseason with a pec injury, but thankfully it wasn't that severe, and he will be ready to go in Round one. 
There has been plenty of conversation of where he will be playing in 2021 with many people selecting him alongside Addin Fonua-Blake in the front row, but coach Nathan Brown has stated that he is looking at keeping BMM an edge forward much like his time in Warrington. 

I cant wait to see BMM in Warriors colours, and I'm looking forward to seeing him go toe to toe with David Fifita in Round One.

So those were my picks for the five Warriors players I think will stand out in 2021. Next week I will be offering my thoughts on the five players I think need to improve in 2021 but until then let me know what you think on my choices and who you think will be having a big season this year.

6 comments:

  1. I’m happy to see your selection- I’m really looking forward to seeing Katoa’s development. He’s great to watch.
    Ben Murdoch-Masila, though. Is it an inspired signing, or is it a case of BMM getting to come home for a couple of years before final retirement? I don’t mean to be cynical at all- but he has negotiated a great deal? I just hope you are right, Brad, and he delivers.
    Here’s wishing for a great season to come.
    I look forward to you keeping everyone living Overseas updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah Katoa is going to be a superstar and I look forward to seeing how his 2021 goes. You could be right about BMM but as a massive fan of his I think he will deliver but time will tell. Fingers crossed for good season and will do my best to keep you updated throughout the year.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back Brad. There seems to be such a good buzz going in to this season with the dramatic size change in our squad. I really hope the boys deliver. Really looking forward to seeing the big boys rip in come round 1. AFB, BMM and Kane Evans should all have a big impact on the team as a whole.

    I was never a big fan of Egan last year and I was gutted when Lawton got injured. However, I am happy to not cast judgement until I see how he performs behind our new front row.

    I'm also looking forward to seeing big Ken running the ball back. I'm expecting to see a lot of energy from him after such a long time off the field.

    Lastly, I reckon RTS could have a field day if he is given the opportunity to hit some holes in the defence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. Yeah it's great to see the buzz for this season, a complete turnaround from the 2020 season. Just need the team to front and it could be a good year.

      That's fair regarding Egan, I liked him at the Panthers and saw glimpses of what he could be in 2020, it is just a wait and see kind of thing with him but behind that pack he should be able to perform.

      Ken will be firing on all cylinders I'm sure and those kick returns will be a welcome return, with these big forwards doing the big runs, it should free up RTS to do what he does best.

      I just can't wait for the season to start.

      Delete
  3. Hi Brad
    Good to see you back with intelligent and perceptive comments.
    Can’t wait to see season begin and I like your 5 choices.
    I am a huge fan of Katoas...he has no big ego to interfere and like you say he has dedication written all over him when he plays and what natural skill!!
    Think AFB will settle into Warriors culture and not exhibit some of excesses we’ve seen.
    Call me an optimist,...but top 4 for Warriors this year though that will be tempered by trial and early games
    Look forward to more insights from you.Thanks Brad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana it's good to be back.
      Yeah Katoa is a star in the making and I can't wait to see he grow as a player this year.
      From the pictures and videos I have seen it looks like the whole side is coming together nicely and I'm sure AFB will fit into the culture of the club and tone down his excesses as you say.
      Top 4 a big call, I haven't settled on a prediction yet, that will come in my season preview after the trials but I'm a lot more hopeful this season compared to this time last year.

      Delete