Follow me on Facebook

Monday, February 1, 2021

Five Players that must Improve in 2021

After last weeks list of players to standout in 2021, it's now time for me to offer my opinion on the five Warriors that I feel have the most to prove those season. Once again the rankings are in no particular order.

 1. David Fusitu'a

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
The first man on my list is perhaps the most talented out of the five.
David Fusitu'a's form has been on the decline since his outstanding 2018 season, he scored 23 tries that year but fell away in 2019 scoring only 5 tries. 
Fast-forward to 2020, and he only managed to cross the try line once. However, in his defence he only played 7 games and out of those 7 the Warriors only managed 1 win and did not score a lot of tries. 
I'm sure if he had stayed with the side instead of returning to New Zealand, we would have seen his try tally increase when the Warriors started to string performances together.
Lots of fans have been calling for Adam Pompey to get the nod ahead of Fusitu'a this season. 
However, if I was picking the side, I would still have Fusitu'a on the wing. With Peta Hiku moving back to the right edge last season we could see their great combination from 2018 reunited, giving Fusitu'a all the chances he needs to get himself back on track.

2. Leeson Ah Mau
Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
Leeson Ah Mau's ruptured pectoral ended his 2020 season after only playing two rounds. With this season being the final year of his deal, Ah Mau really needs to deliver if he wishes to extend his stay with the Warriors.
I'm not sure if you could say that Ah Mau is a top tier prop in the NRL. Still, he consistently averaged over 100 running metres from 2015 to 2019, last year his average dropped to 81 metres but again that was only from 2 matches, that consistency is what  Ah Mau needs to bring to the table this year.
With the competition for spots in the forwards, he will need to come out of the gates hard and fast; otherwise, he may easily lose his spot. 
If it was me, he would be one of the starting front-rowers getting the Warriors rolling forward with Addin Fonua-Blake. 
However, with Fonua-Blake, Ben Murdoch-Masila and Kane Evans plus the impressive first-year performance from Jamayne Taunoa-Brown it is fair to say that Ah Mau chances of being re-signed are slim. However, I have hope that he will prove that he still can offer something to the Warriors.


3. Bunty Afoa

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
The third player on my list that didn't feature much in 2020, in fact, Bunty was ruled out for the season before it even began.
The writing is on the wall for Bunty, the Warriors told him he was free to go elsewhere at the end of last year, effectively telling him that he will not be re-signed, but he rejected jumping ship and wants to prove his worth.
I can't fault him for that, in this day and age, so many players demand releases when it looks like they are going to be on the outer, so it is encouraging to see him decide to fight for his Warriors career.
His run from the back fence style has made him a fan favourite, and I believe he is a player that the Warriors need, I have preached the Warriors need for props that consistently make 100+ running metres, but I believe the Warriors also need a guy like Afoa on the interchange to come out and make some damaging runs much like back in the day when the Warriors had Mr Consistent Steve Price but then brought on Iafeta Paleaaesina (My personal favourite Warrior) to come on and change the tempo.
Much like Ah Mau, there are so many front-rowers in the squad so when (or if) Bunty gets his chance on the field he needs to hit the ground running and never let anyone take his spot again.
I have my fingers crossed for Bunty and hope to see him ink a new deal with the club.

4. Josh Curran

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
Last year I had Josh Curran on my list of players to stand out, and I was way off the mark, with Eliesa Katoa and Jack Murchie performing so well Curran had limited opportunities playing only 3 games.
His strongest attribute is his defence, which the Warriors sorely need after some poor defensive displays in 2020. He also has shown a glimpse of what he can offer with the ball in hand.
However, the problem for him is that there are so many players above him in the squad now that I just don't see him making the 17 anytime soon.
I want to see the Warriors and all the players on the roster succeed, and I hope that he proves me wrong, but I just don't see Curran featuring much this season.

5. Kane Evans

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
Last on my list is new signing Kane Evans.
Another big unit signed by the Warriors standing at almost 2 metres tall, Evans is an imposing figure, but he doesn't always play like one. Last season he averaged 94 running metres and also made 31 offloads. His issue is consistency, one week he will be making all the metres, and then the next he is dropping the ball all over the place.
However, he is a solid defender so I could see him helping to strengthen the Warriors defence in the middle of the park. 
Kane is another player that I want to see succeed, and I think he will walk into a spot in the 17 for Round One, but it will be a case of wait and see on if he can keep it. If he can go out on the park and make 90+ metres, not miss tackles and throw a couple of offloads, then he will be a valuable asset to the side.

So those were my picks for the Warriors players that need a big 2021. Next up is my season preview, but that has to wait until the preseason games have been played at the end of February. I will cover the preseason news, the Roster, who my gameday 17 will be and how I think the Warriors will fare in 2021.
Until then let me know what you think about my choices and who you think needs to improve the most in 2020.

6 comments:

  1. very well presented and have the facts to back it up. Will keep an eye out for more of your posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks and write up man.Keep up with these blogs man. You'll get there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm looking forward to this season and look forward to writing my match reviews again.

      Delete
  3. As usual sound comments Brad.
    you always provide us with thoughts to ponder
    Great work and thanks
    Looking forward like you are to season start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana.
      The new season couldn't come any quicker.

      Delete