Follow me on Facebook

Monday, March 11, 2019

NZ Warriors 2019 Season Preview: The Dawn of a New Era

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
The time is finally upon us, in a mere few days, the NRL season will begin, and I cannot wait until round one.
It also means that it’s time for me to give my thoughts on how I see the Warriors faring in their 2019 campaign.
As I did last year, I will be breaking down my preview into sections outlining my views on the preseason and trial results, key signings, the 2019 squad, my gameday 17, the team's strengths and weaknesses and then finalising it all with my 2019 prediction.
As always, these are all my thoughts and opinions, and I’m always interested in hearing your views too so if you want to share your thoughts, comment below and let me know what you think.

Preseason News: A year of change

2018 was a much-needed improvement, with the Warriors returning to finals football for the first time since 2011 but the way they bowed out of the finals against the Penrith Panthers was embarrassing, to say the least, that is now in the past, and a lot has changed since that night.
This preseason has been full of stories, from Shaun Johnson exit (more on that in a little bit), the battle of the young halves vying for his spot, accusations of tampering when trying to recruit Dylan Brown and Issac Lukes newly signed deal it’s fair to say that 2019’s preseason will be one to remember for some time.

2019 is a year of change with the one of the most noticeable differences at the club being the teams home jersey reverting back to the clubs original colours in celebration of the clubs 25th year. 
Personally, I love the change and would like it to be a permanent change.
The Warriors welcomed Nathan Cayless and Todd Payten into the coaching team with Payten replacing Andrew McFadden and Cayless taking control of the Warriors ISP team.
Stephen Kearney also re-signed for another three years, which I think is a wise move; the Warriors need consistency in the coaches box if they want consistency on the field.

In regards to the squad, the Warriors lost Johnson, James Gavet and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad all in the preseason when they requested and were granted their releases, all are players that will be missed, but the Warriors have players willing and able to step up and replace them. The most intriguing story to come out of the player exodus being the battle between halves Adam Keighran and Chanel Harris-Tavita both have displayed potential so far in the preseason trials and have no doubt given Stephen Kearney plenty to think about for his round one team.

The first of the Warriors two trials saw the Warriors make the journey to Geelong to face the Melbourne Storm, both sides played without their key players, and there isn’t much to say about this match with the Warriors staying in control for the majority of the game-winning 12-6.
My standouts in this trial were Lachlan Burr who brought a lot of energy in his spells and looks to be a worthy inclusion to the Warriors bench, Patrick Herbert also had a strong showing and has thrown his hat in the ring for the battle for the two starting centre spots.

Copyright Photo: Fiona Goodall / Getty Images

The second trial saw a Warriors team with all its stars bar Issac Luke travel up to Whangarei to defeat the Wests Tigers 26-16 in what was an excellent final blowout before round one.
Peta Hiku’s shift to the left edge made an immediate impact with Ken Maumalo scoring a double, Solomona Kata’s switch to the right edge didn’t stop Fusitu’a scoring a double too.
The game wasn’t perfect with some silly penalties and the forwards not being as dominant as I had expected, but these are issues that should be resolved before round one.

During the last trial it was announced by Cameron George that Issac Luke had re-signed with the club to stay for the 2019 season, I think it’s a good move for the club, and it also gives Nathaniel Roache more time to learn his trade from Luke.

Lastly, my take on Shaun’s exit.
I have kept mostly quiet on the exit of Johnson, but I believe the Warriors have done the right thing in moving on from Shaun.
In my mind that playoff game against the Panthers was the final nail in his coffin, his vanishing act in that match showed that he wasn’t deserving of his hefty paycheck in my opinion.
When he was told that he was welcome to test the market, instead of proving his worth like Issac, Luke said he took his ball and went home.
Half-hearted players don't win championships and winning the NRL is what every team should be aiming to do.
The way the departure happened wasn’t pretty, and at times it seemed more like a toxic relationship breakup with the Warriors and Shaun both looking like petty exes at times in the media, but he is gone now and although the media will continue to go on and on about the situation I have moved on.
The media in Australia have written the Warriors off due to them having an inexperienced half starting, but they did the same when James Maloney moved here and look how that turned out.

Key Signing: Leeson Ah Mau

Copyright Photo: newshub.co.nz
After nine years across the ditch, Leeson Ah Mau has returned to where it all began.
Leeson was a significant component of the Dragons forward pack, and after a strong 2018 which saw him earn a Kiwis jersey, he has proved to be a formidable prop. He will be an integral component to the Warriors success in 2019.
One of the Warriors most significant issues in 2018 was the lack of go forward by the pack and Leeson will have to lead the way for the young props in the Warriors rotation.
Defensively he is reliable also and will help solidify that defensive line in that middle channel.

2019 Squad
Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi

The Warriors recruitment for 2019 has left a lot to be desired with Leeson the only notable signing.
Fringe player Lachlan Burr has moved across the ditch in a bid to get more first grade minutes and add’s legitimate size to the Warriors pack.
Disgraced centre Taane Milne has received a lifeline from the Warriors; he was released by the Wests Tigers after a second positive drug test and will be looking for redemption.
Adam Keighran can play regular first grade with Johnson’s exit, and I believe his renowned goal-kicking prowess and strong defence will help to push his nose in front as the favourite to start alongside Blake Green in round one.
The Warriors have yet to use the majority of the money left in the salary cap after the exit of Johnson, Gavet and Nicoll-Klokstad and this gives them an edge in obtaining any players that may need to be moved on due to cap pressures at other clubs. You can expect some movement before June.
With the exit of Johnson and Mannering, the Warriors will be leaning on Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, even more, to guide them to success this season.
Roger will be looking to build on his impressive 2018 form that saw him become the first Warrior to become a Dally M Medalist, he’s part of one of the best back three combinations in the NRL, partnered with Ken Maumalo and the NRL’s leading try-scorer David Fusitu’a.

The Warriors will no doubt continue to direct their attack down the right edge, but with Solomona Kata moving to the right that question will be if this move will neuter Fusitu’as scoring ability,
The Warriors explosive backline will be of little use if the forward pack does not do their part, with the inclusion of Ah Mau and Burr, the pack has increased in size considerably; their addition to the prop rotation will guarantee the halves will have ample time to create scoring opportunities.
Blake Green has a lot of pressure on him this season, partnered with a rookie halfback; he will be expected to take full control of the team and organising the attack.
It appears that the Warriors are confident that he can shoulder that responsibility for this season’s campaign, but I expect to see Tuivasa-Sheck increase his playmaking role in 2019.
Isaiah Papali’I has big boots to fill, taking over from club legend Mannering.
After a breakout 2018, Papali’i appears to have the potential to take control of the lock position long term.
I think the squad has a good mix of youth and experience and plenty of talent across the park, but it’s imperative that the Warriors convert a good team on paper into a great team on the field.

My Gameday 17

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck        14. Jazz Tevaga
2. David Fusitu’a                   15. Bunty Afoa
3. Peta Hiku                           16. Lachlan Burr
4. Gerard Beale                      17. Leivaha Pulu
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Blake Green
7. Adam Keighran
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Issac Luke
10. Agnatius Paasi
11. Adam Blair
12. Tohu Harris
13. Isaiah Papali’i

Strengths and Weaknesses

The back three or the entire backline for that matter continues to be the most apparent strength for this side if Fusitu’a can maintain his 2018 form and Ken can keep improving they will be causing plenty of headaches for their opposition all year long.
The Warriors goal-line defence still appears to be as robust as it was in 2018 and with their draw being tougher in 2019 their defence will need to be even better, that goal line needs to be an impenetrable wall.

In terms of the team's weaknesses although the depth in the squad is adequate the depth in the spine is where most Warriors fans will have their concerns, any injuries to Green or Tuivasa-Sheck during the season could derail the whole campaign.
Even though the goalline defence is good, the Warriors need to improve their defence in the middle of the park, too many times in 2018 the Warriors opponents easily marched up the field, if the Warriors can bring that goal-line intensity to their defence everywhere else, their chances of coming away with the victory increases tenfold.

Lastly is the tough draw, in particular, the final month.
If the 2019 season is as close as 2018 was, that final month of the season could be the deciding factor for the New Zealand club with three out of the final four matches being in Australia.
Including starting that last month against the title favourite Roosters in Sydney in round 22, the Warriors away record was impressive in 2018, and it will need to stay that way this season.

My 2019 Prediction

My prediction last year was close with me being only one position off with my prediction of seventh.
In what has become a common occurrence most of the NRL pundits in Australia have written the Warriors off with most even predicting the Warriors to get their first-ever wooden spoon this season.
I don’t agree with them and providing the Warriors stay injury-free, this is a top-eight side, and I see them sitting seventh at the end of round 25.

So let's bring on the new season, I cannot wait for round one and to get back to Mount Smart.
I will once again be writing game reviews every week throughout the seasons, and I’m looking forward to talking to all of you as the year progresses if you are at any of the home games you can always find me in the members tent before and after the games so come and say hi and talk some football.

If you like what I’m doing here, please share my blog around with your friends and leave comments telling me how you think the seasons going to go.
I've also been fortunate to become the Warriors correspondent for NothingbutLeague.com this season so please show them some love by checking out my articles on their site each week.
As I did last season, I will end my preview with some questions, so let me know your answers, and I will talk to you all again after round one.

What would you do with the money left in the cap?
Where do you think the Warriors will finish in 2019?
What changes would you make to my gameday 17?
Who is your key signing?

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your 17, with Kata changing sides, I think that is a good change making Kata have more confidence and trust his outside man more. When he had Kenny on the outside I think he probably didnt have as much faith in him getting over the line. Which made him not pass ball and try go himself, when he knows Fusi will definitely get over the line. I'm not doubting Kenny but when he first made the warriors he was really average i didnt like him at all! but last season he blew me away. So I think both sides of the field are going to be scoring alot of tries with Hiku having Kenny on his out side and kata having Fusi. But in saying that if either Centres dont perform we definitely have players that can fill in there spots.

    I think Leeson Ah Mau, Lachlan Burr and Adam Keighran are Key signings that the warriors needed , we need size and power which I think Leeson and Lachlan have got, also I think Lachlan Burr reminds me of another Lillyman hard, strong and gives a 110% not the most flashy player but just gets the job done and doesn't really make stupid mistakes.

    With Adam Keighran in the team I think we will a halve that will come in and control the team heaps better more then when SJ did. Why? Because SJ was more of are free flow halfback that tried to do everything himself and not keep things simple.

    I think the warriors will come 6th on the table proving all them Aussies wrong that we didnt need SJ to make Finals footy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could be right re the Kata switching side positive, but yes plenty of depth in the centre position if things don't go well.

      Burr impressed me in the trials and I think he is going to be handy to say the least.
      Keighran is a talent and I think he is going to have a strong year, I havent watched a lot of his performances but I liked what I saw in the trials and also in what I saw when he was playing reserve grade for Penrith.

      6th is a good prediction, the irony of the SJ situation is that the past few years the media has been saying the Warrior needed to dump hi if they wanted a premiership and then as soon as that happens they back pedal and say the should never have let him go.
      I think the players around him relied on him too much at times to win games on his own so with him gone the team has to rely on each other which makes them stronger as a unit.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back behind the keyboard Brad. This is the time that I usually give my view on a few points that I disagree with or have a slightly different opinion of. Not today. You are echoing my own thoughts almost entirely.

    Totally agree about Shaun Johnson. He had another season on his contract but didn't feel like he should have to prove himself. No question he is a talented individual, but nowhere near the most important in the team.

    I can't fault your starting 17 at all. As much as I would love to see Roache take a spot, Tevaga covers more positions with him being able to play so easily in the middle along side Luke and not just to slide in to Hooker when Luke comes off for a spell. Unfortunately for us, Kata still stands a very good chance of retaining his spot and Pulu even seems to be further down the pecking order (I really hope this isn't the case as he was amazing at the start of last season).

    The only part I will disagree on is the signings. I think the club has been very smart. They brought in a heap of quality players last year and didn't feel the need to do the same this year. We really didn't lose too much either. CNK didn't feature in first grade at all last year and Ah Mau easily trumps Gavet, and Johnson, well.... we've already summed that one up. The fact that they held on to Johnson's money has enable them to retain Luke and it will be very interesting to see if they pick up a bargain part way through the season.

    Depth in the halves is definitely our biggest concern. I'm expected these young guys to play with a lot of hunger and intent though. They just need that steady hand to guide the team. At least (touch wood) if RTS had to sit out a game, Hiku can easily cover fullback.

    Itching for Saturday night. We're supposed to be going out for a work dinner for my wife's firm. I think I could be making several extended bathroom breaks.

    Looking forward to your weekly breakdowns

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jason, it's good to be back,nice to hear where almost on the same page this time.

      Yes Shaun is a talent but no one is above the team so I think the team will be better for the change.

      I like Roache but yes i had to put Jazz in because of his ability to play multiple positions and i think the Warriors need three forwards on the bench instead of having Roache take one of those other three spots.
      Pulu has seemed to drop off the radar for some reason despite his pre-injury showing in 2018 but I'm hopeful that he will have a strong return to form.

      Yes I can see you point regarding the signings, I think the club has been smart with how they are moving forward with the $ saved from SJ's exit, instead of just throwing $ at any player that is around they appear to have an idea in motion and are playing their cards close to their chest.
      With all the cap dramas happening right now they are in a good potion to get a bargain.

      Yes the half cover is a concern, both Adam and Chanel are talented but the Warriors need Green to stay 100% to help them get into the groove of first grade, I'm sure the forward pack will be out to protect the rookie halves so I'm confident that either will do the job well.

      Saturday can not come soon enough for.

      Delete
  3. I almost forgot.... I'm picking 6th or 7th provided our new halves don't fall to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes i think 6th or 7th is the good prediction.

    ReplyDelete