Follow me on Facebook

Monday, May 23, 2022

NZ Warriors Round 11 Review: Warrior's woes continue as they slide to defeat to Dragons

After their disappointing Magic Round defeat to the Rabbitohs, the Warriors made the journey to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium to face the Dragons. In a tightly fought contest, some poor attack and defensive decisions ultimately saw the Warriors go down 24-18 in their third loss in a row.

For a breakdown of how the match went, check out my match report at the link below.

Ingers League Wrap-Up Round 11 Match Report

Another disappointing weekend as a Warriors fan; I came into the match reasonably confident, but with the news about Chanel Harris-Tavita and Matt Lodge leading up to game day, I admit that my confidence took a severe knock.
That wasn't helped when Shaun Johnson dropped the kickoff setting the Dragons up to score in the first minute. After that, the Warriors did get back into the contest, showing some improvements with the ball in hand and scoring some nice tries. However, the Dragons stayed in the hunt for most of the match and looked more dangerous on attack and honestly just wanted the result more. The moment they displayed this the most was when Mathew Feagai threw a hospital pass to Zac Lomax in the in-goal area, and instead of giving up, he fought his way into the field of play, with the help of his teammates, who created a maul to push him over the line. Watching the play back, several Warriors were there that could have stopped Lomax early, but they just watched other players try to tackle him. Once that happened, the Dragons got their second wind, and the Warriors just looked flat.
It's disheartening watching right now. The Dragons weren't better than the Warriors in this match; they just made the most of their opportunities. I just expected the Warriors to go up a level for Jazz Tevaga's 100th match.
This result puts plenty of pressure on the Warriors and makes this week's game a must-win if they hope to be in top-eight contention.

There wasnt much to smile about this week, but I managed to find some glimmers of hope, which leads me to my positives from the match.

Match Positives

After last week's woeful effort, I thought the attack improved in patches. Johnson's kicks were more pinpoint, and Dallin Watene-Zeleaniak and Viliami Vailea reaped the rewards. Reece Walsh was getting involved and looked threatening multiple times. It was nothing flash, but you don't need to be flash to score points. Play a simple game plan, and the points will come, and we saw that in moments in this match; it just needs to happen every week.

It was another massive game for Addin Fonua-Blake; he ran for 209 metres and just dominated the middle. We expect nothing less from him at present, and he never fails to deliver. If the rest of the props in this side could at least get to half of his effort each week, then the Warriors would have a terrifying prop rotation.

Times are tough right now, but on the bright side, the Warriors are close to welcoming back several of their players. Looking at the NRL website, this week's match could see the returns of Jesse Arthars, Wayde Egan, Chanel Harris-Tavita and Bayley Sironen. Then Josh Curran should be ready to return in Round 13. This should allow the Warriors to make some much-needed changes to their lineup and hopefully get themselves one step closer to returning to the winner's circle.

However, I had plenty of concerns, which brings me to my negatives from the game.

Match Negatives

Despite the attack looking better, for the most part, it was still not a complete performance. There were moments when the Warriors looked lost or confused. Some poor last tackle options ultimately saw the Warriors shoot themselves in the foot by running too close to the sidelines in wet conditions (more on that later). 
It's pull your hair out types of mistakes happening here, but the Warriors showed they can score points; they just need to stop switching off.

Defence is still a massive concern. They missed 38 tackles in this match, and many of them were just down to half hearted efforts. It's an attitude thing, and I just don't know what the side can do to improve it. It may be time for the old fashioned honesty session so that the players not pulling their weight are put on notice by their teammates. If they can do that and improve the defensive efforts across the board, it should make winning matches a little easier.

Lastly, the injury to Addin Fonua-Blake, there has not been an official announcement of AFB's foot injury, but there is a chance that it could be the same injury that Ben Murdoch-Masila got last season, which could see the front rower out for the rest of the season.
This will be a massive blow for the club as AFB has been massive for them this season; adding to Lodge's exit, the Warriors will be lacking a lot of grunt up the middle. Putting an optimistic spin on things, this will give the other front rowers a chance to prove their worth, and I have my fingers crossed that they step up to the plate.

Warrior of the Match


My Warrior of the match goes to Tohu Harris. 
Only the skipper's second match back from injury, and he was all class, running for 155 metres, making 35 tackles and adding some attacking depth to the Warriors with an excellent passing display. He gives his 100%, and with the news that AFB may be gone for the season, the pack is going to rely on Harris more now than ever; I expect to see him move into the front row while the front row stocks are short and I just hope the rest of the forwards come up to his impressive levels of effort.

Warrior to Improve


My Warrior to improve goes to Adam Pompey. 
Pompey had a shocker; going over the sideline in wet conditions once is unfortunate, but he did it again and then almost a third, but he flicked a 50/50 pass to no one, which also went over the line. The sideline is the defences best friend, and the Dragons knew it, coaxing the Warriors to take them on down the sidelines, and Pompey took the bait every time.
He was no better on defence either, missing eight tackles and making poor reads, one of which led to Cody Ramsey's try. With some backs due to return from injury, I would be giving him a break as the Warriors need results right now, and I don't know if they will get them with him out there.

Next round thoughts and prediction

Round 12 sees the Warriors travel back to their makeshift home at Moreton Daily Stadium to face the Newcastle Knights, who were convincingly defeated 36-12 by the Broncos in Round 11.
If I was picking the side this week, I would be making a few changes.
In the backs, I would bring CHT back into the halves and have either Daejarn Asi or Jesse Arthars take Pompey's spot in the centres. 
In the forwards with AFB out, I would move Harris into the front row, Egan would come back to the hooker spot, and Tevaga moves into the Lock spot. The rest of the pack I would keep the same for now expect maybe moving Bunty Afoa into the starting side, and BMM moves to the bench.
Regarding how I see the match going, it is hard to predict; the Knights have been dreadful this season, so the Warriors should get the job done. However, with the loss of AFB, it will not be an easy task, but I think they will still have the edge here playing at "Home", so I am picking the Warriors to win by 16.

So that was a frustrating Round 11, and as usual, I will leave you with some questions.

Do you think the Warriors are still a chance for the top eight?
Now that Lodge and AFB are out, who would be your starting front rowers?
Are there any changes you would make to the game day 17?
What is your score prediction against the Knights?

4 comments:

  1. I do not think we will make the top eight. The rise of teams like the Cowboys, Sharks and Broncos have made that task so much more difficult.

    Starting front row is a major concern, we might have to try and find a way to keep out of the forward battle as much as possible this weekend. There was plenty of early talk about the potential of Pene and how the Storm regretted losing him so let's start him with BMM and see what he has got! He has been a bit underwhelming for me so far this season, so here is a chance to prove himself.The named team is a bit different from what you hoped for Brad with Asi and Arthars both in the reserves. Pene starts on the bench.

    Pompey just is not up to it at the moment. I would rather see Arthars in his spot.

    I think I need to be realistic about this team. We have had such an inconsistent lineup due to injuries (like many teams) and we have so many young players, especially in the outside backs. Maybe our expectations just need to be a bit lower. They do seem to be trying and we hang on and stay competitive in most games.The Dragons game was frustrating as they were barely better than us, and if you have been reading my comments for the last few years you will be well aware how disappointing I find our inability to score points in second halves. I think we average about 6.5 this season. This must change if we want to win more games

    The Knights on the other hand, have some players returning and, bad as they have been, they, like most sides will see a game against the Warriors as a chance for a win. For that reason, I reluctantly pick the Knights to win by 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Eight does seem a stretch now, I was optimistic that they could squeeze in but they needed to beat the Dragons to keep that going. Never say never though but you are right the Cowboys, Sharks and Broncos are doing well. The Raiders also seem to have turned their form around.

    Front row is a huge issue, losing the two best props you have in the same week is problematic but yes it now gives BMM and Pene a chance to prove their worth. Yes the team selection is not what I would have gone with but I guess that's why I am not a coach.

    Pompey has always been a second string player for me, when injuries happen you bring him in to fill a hole until your starter is ready, Brown seems to really like what he offers, I just hope he starts to live up to that at some point.

    I agree, with the injuries and young backs this team is not where it should be for my current expectations, I am just hoping that these young players take all the lessons they learn this year and use them to be the complete package in 2023. 2nd half scoring has been horrible and that needs to be fixed ASAP.

    Knights will be tough, especially up the middle but I hope my prediction is right instead of yours as I don't want to review another loss this week.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at your last sentence! I feel your pain at reviewing such frequent losses and our wins have hardly been spectacular with our Broncos victory probably our best of the season so far. Yet another year of trying to be positive but beaten about the head by disappointment more often than not.

      Delete
    2. It's been tougher this year, as you said a lot of losses and those wins have not been anything to write home about. I try to take a glass half full approach to my reviews while still being honest about what's going wrong but they are making it hard. Not having home games to go to for a while has not helped me as a fan and I think the club has kind of forgotten the fans and members over here in this strange time, they use to be good at involving the fans but I have never felt so distant from the club before. Think I have an article somewhere in me about feeling in the dark with the club, I'm sure I am not the only Auckland based fan that feels that way.

      Delete