Follow me on Facebook

Monday, August 16, 2021

NZ Warriors Round 22 Review: Warriors playoff dream continues after third win in a row


After round 21's victory over the Sharks, the Warriors made their way to Moreton Daily Stadium in Redcliffe to face the Bulldogs. I went into the match confident, but there was a slight unease that the Wooden Spooners could get an upset win here. However, that unease was unfounded as the Warriors walked away with a relatively comfortable 24-10 victory.

Three wins in a row and a match where the Warriors led from start to finish for the first time in quite a while. They scored from their first set with Josh Curran started the real with a long run down the sideline before finishing the drive after a nice short ball from Sean O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan went from hero to villain on the next set, throwing an intercept that was snatched up by Aaron Schoupp, who ran away untouched for the Bulldogs first try. After that, the Warriors always appeared in control, looking more threatening with the ball in hand, scoring two more tries through Jazz Tevaga and Edward Kosi. The Bulldogs had the last laugh of the first-half, scoring in the 39th minute via Jayden Okunbor to see the Warriors go into the sheds leading 16-10. 
The second half was more of the same, with the Warriors playing the more positive football but only managing one try when Chanel Harris-Tavita chipped the ball early in the tackle count for Reece Walsh to outrun the defenders to score just before the ball went over the dead-ball line. The Bulldogs looked to have scored after Kosi dropped the ball coming off the Warriors line, but the bunker took it away from them due to Sione Katoa making contact with Kosi's head. After that, the Warriors could not cross the line anymore, but they did slot a penalty goal to push out their lead and nail the win.

Now while I would have liked to see the Warriors blow the Bulldogs away, I was happy with the 14 point win; I had predicted a 12 point win, so I guess you could say they exceeded my expectation. Not only was it the Warriors third win in a row, but it was also the third match in a row where they kept their opponents scoreless in the second half. They have kept their slim playoff hopes alive, and while I still think they will just miss out, I am happy that they are making the end of a season more exciting to watch and write about, especially after having to write reviews through that losing streak.

It wasn't perfect, but this game had things that left a smile on my face, which leads to my positives from the match.

Match Positives

I thought the Warriors forwards dominated the middle; I was concerned that the Warriors may have struggled without Matt Lodge against a Bulldogs pack with loan player Ryan James in the mix, but I was wrong with four Warriors running for over 100 metres with Addin Fonua-Blake the best, chalking up 212 metres (the rest were Josh Curran with 175, Euan Aitken with 158 and Jazz Tevaga with 126). They threw offloads and created second-phase football, but they displayed more control than normal and didn't overplay their hand. Several of the pack put their hands up to run the ball more than once in a set, and they looked hungry. If this pack can keep this level up, they will be hard to combat, especially when you add Lodge back into the mix.

I liked what I saw out of the spine (for the most part), I think O'Sullivan is still playing better than I expected, and yes, he did have some poor plays included that intercept, but he kept plugging away. The highlight for me, however, was the budding combination between Harris-Tavita and Walsh. They are working well as a tandem, and I'm excited to see them build their partnership; add Shaun Johnson to that mix next season, and it could lead to some highlight-reel football.

Missed tackles are my last positive; normally, this is a constant in my negatives section, but last week I asked the Warriors to get their missed tackles to the low 20's, and they ended this match with 18. That is a great improvement, and while this was a match against a Bulldogs side that didn't threaten them too much, they managed to scramble whenever the Bulldogs looked to be gaining momentum. The Warriors stayed on their man better this week, and I'm hoping it is a sign of things to come.
They still have a long way to go defence wise, but this was a welcome step in the right direction. 

I still had concerns, which brings me to my negatives from the match.

Match Negatives

The Warriors made too many errors for my liking again, making 12 in this match. Some of them came from pushing passes that shouldn't have been passed. It may have been because the Warriors were trying things while they had a lead. Just like I said last week, they just need to take a breath and settle things.

I wasn't happy with the number of ruck infringements they conceded, they had five against them, and the disappointing part of it was that the majority of them were on the last tackle. The Bulldogs could not take advantage of these, but if the Warriors do the same thing against the Broncos, Raiders and Titans in the final three rounds, they may be in trouble.

Lastly, I was unhappy with some of the Warriors last tackle options. I praised the Warriors spine earlier, but they had a few sets that ended clunky with some poor kicks or wayward passes. Again I think in those moments, it was a case of the Warriors trying to rush to get things to happen. If they slow it down and utilise their strengths, then the points will come. They don't need to try and score every set.

Warrior of the Match

Copyright Photo: Getty Images

My Warrior of the match once again goes to Josh Curran. The young second-rower has just gone from strength to strength in the past month. He was heavily involved in the Warriors attack, scoring a try, setting up another, running for 175 metres and led the side with 3 linebreaks. He also was sitting atop the tackle count ending the day with 42 for the second week straight. He is starting to find his feet, and I love it. One of the first names I would pencil into the Warriors starting lineup from now on. 

Warrior to Improve

Copyright Photo: Getty Images

I struggled to select a player to improve this week as I was overly happy with everyone, but I have selected Kodi Nikorima. I've liked Nikorima's move to the No.14 as he has been adding some much-needed spark from the bench, but he didn't deliver too much for the Warriors in this match. He only made two runs from dummy-half and didn't really take hold of the match like I expected him to. He made 13 tackles with no misses, which was good to see; however, I want to see a bit more out of him this week attack-wise. 

Next rounds thoughts and prediction

Round 23 sees the Warriors head to Suncorp Stadium to face the Broncos. The Broncos have been poor this season but have started to show some fight in the past few rounds, including taking the Roosters to the limit in a 21-20 loss in Round 22, so I come into this match a lot more nervous than I would like. The Warriors will welcome back Dallin Watene-Zelezniak but will still be without Matt Lodge. Apart from bringing DWZ in for Ed Kosi, I would be happy to keep the rest of the 17 the same; however, Nathan Brown may bring Chad Townsend in. The Broncos have been tough, but I feel that the Warriors have built enough confidence and cohesion over the past three weeks and will move to four wins in a row, so I am picking the Warriors to get the win by 10.

Before I go, I just want to talk about my show, The Stand Off on New Zealand Sport Radio. We are celebrating our 50th episode tonight (16/08/2021) at 8pm NZ Time. We will be hosting a Q&A, sharing funny memories from the past episodes and discussing the Warriors and all things NRL with special guests Roo & Hammer. So if you are interested in checking it out, I will link it below. 


So that was a satisfying Round 22, and as usual, I will leave you with some questions.

What changes would you make to the 17?
Do you think the Warriors will make the eight?
Who was your player of the day?
What is your score prediction against the Broncos?


6 comments:

  1. So if Chad comes in who would he replace??

    I fear it will be OSullivan but that would be a mistake

    He does do much more than CHT who still only shovel passes

    That kick for a try is his first try assist

    We will have to wait and see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am happy to see CHT and O'Sullivan stay together in the halves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again Brad for your excellent observations.I look forward to reading them except when we went on that losing streak and I read them but disheartened enough not to reply.
    Yes Curran my man of the match…Amazing development in last few weeks.Yes bring in Townsend if fit but I have been impressed with SOS by and large.He tries hard!
    Also impressed with rookie Kosi.Shame about 2 drop balls but he has a lot of potential.Tevaga will die for the team too and pleased he’s left silly costly behaviour behind now.

    Warriors to win against Broncos by 8…Your right Broncos have really improved.Loving watching my team not only winning but playing more expansively. I think we will miss top 8.It might just come down to points differential not in our favour.But just keep winning and other results going south…who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. It was hard to write them through that losing streak but thank you for continuing to read them.
      Curran has really impressed me this season, I'm looking forward to seeing his continued growth. I am happy if SOS stays but I also have no issues if Chad returns once fit.

      Yes it will be a tough match against the Broncos but I still think they will get the job done. Unfortunately like you I think the points differential and the close games they lost earlier in the year will keep them out of the eight. However if they keep winning they may surprise us.

      Delete
  4. Sadly I missed this game due to working on Sunday but had a look at the extended highlights.

    A relief to get the win in a game that plenty of us had concerns about. I am told that we could or should have won by plenty more which again draws attention to our problems in attack and inability to finish off opportunities. This has been talked about for some time now. Wouldn't it be nice to see us just play a near faultless game, win decisively and put a decent score on some poor victim. This leads to my thoughts on your first question.

    How about we make no enforced changes at all, build some consistency and give the team the chance to be exactly that, a team. I expect DWZ to return which would be no bad thing but I do want to see more of Kosi.

    It sounds like Curran was a clear standout and it is good to see him flourishing after some early bland performances. Having said that, how will he go against stronger opposition?

    As far as making the eight, we could win all our final three games but just as easily lose all three as well. I can't help thinking that the latter will happen as all those teams would back themselves to beat us. We have a real opportunity here to either sneak into the eight or just finish the season on a strong and positive note. I think we will miss the finals this year.

    The Broncos have been playing pretty well lately and I think they will give us some trouble. I actually expect them to beat us but I will pick Warriors victory by 9 points.

    I don't have Facebook but I managed to listen to your radio show as a podcast and really enjoyed it so I have subscribed and look forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think they played a bit too eratic at times, at times just pushing passes and rushing. Slowing things down a bit may help with this. It would be great to see them play a near faultless game and pile on the points but for now I will take the win.

    Yes I agree with you, make no changes other than bringing DWZ and let the team build combinations. We have got our wish for the most part looking at the team naming.

    In regards to Curran I think the next three weeks against tougher opposition will show us how much he has grown as a player or if he is just a flat track bully.

    You are right, the Warriors could easily drop these matches, I think they will get at least 2 wins out of the last three, but I also thought we would win some games during the losing streak. Unfortunately I think the points differential and the close games they lost earlier in the year will keep them out of the eight but happy to enjoy the ride, with fingers crossed that they surprise me.

    Fingers crossed we both get our prediction right with a Warriors win.

    Thanks for listening to the show and for subscribing, appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete