Follow me on Facebook

Monday, April 1, 2019

NZ Warriors Round 3 Review: Hello darkness my old friend

Copyright Photo: Photosport
After a disappointing performance against the Tigers; the Warriors made the trip to Christchurch to face the Manly Sea Eagles vowing to redeem themselves.
This was not to be with the Sea Eagles soundly defeated the Warriors 46-12 in a low point for the New Zealand club.

To steal a quote, I'm not mad Warriors, I'm just disappointed.
The abysmal effort that the team put up in front of the Christchurch crowd was embarrassing, Stephen Kearney indicated that the loss to the Tigers may have been due to some of the team being complacent, but after this showing, it is clear that the issue is bigger than that.
Two horrible games in a row is the start of a slippery slope, and the Warriors need to act now if they want to claw themselves out of this hole that they have dug themselves into.
Stephen Kearney lambasted the side in the press conference labelling the team's defensive effort "not acceptable" and stated that he was disappointed with their effort.
He's not wrong, but he needs to make the tough calls now, Kearney didn't make any changes to the team before this match, but he needs to make some now (more on that in my negatives below).

I was hopeful that last week was a wake-up call, but it is clearly the start of a trend that needs to be stopped.
For the second week running, I am picking at the bones when it comes to praising this match which leads me to my positives from the game.

I don't really have any, to be honest, but I did like the effort from Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Lachlan Burr, I think both players show tremendous heart and the rest of the squad should take note and follow in their shoes.

There is nothing else I can think of as a positive other than the fact that the game is over we can move on to Round 4.

That, unfortunately, brings me to my negatives.

The Warriors were woeful on attack, in the second half they had three repeat sets on the Sea Eagles goal line and never looked to even sniff a try.
Blake Green has taken complete control of the playmaking, but I think he needs to give Adam Keighran, so more chances to insert himself into the game (or Adam needs to stand up and take control himself).
The opposition is focusing all their attention on Green, and he is not the style of player that can use that extra attention to his advantage.
Moving Kata to the right edge has neutered David Fusitu'a and the Warriors are suffering because of it.
If the Warriors don't sort out their offensive woes, 2019 is going to be painfully long.

Defensive the Warriors were even worse, missing 40 tackles and making the Sea Eagles look like they were having a training run.
Defence is all about attitude and technique, and the Warriors lack in both; too many times they resorted to jersey grabbing and failed to wrap up the ball carrier which lead to the Sea Eagles offloading at will.
I'm not sure what the Warriors can do to fix it, but they need to do it now.

The errors were reduced but still too many to be competitive in the NRL, the Warriors have so much to work on but if they can sort the errors out; it's at least a step in the right direction.

My last negative actually coincides with my player that needs to improve so I will leave it for that section.

Copyright Photo: Warriors.kiwi
In the second poor display in a row, there weren't too many players that stood out for good reasons, but my Warrior of the game goes to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
With the majority of the side failing in all aspects; Roger appeared to be one of the few that seemed to even care, that may be facetious on my part, but it's just how it looked.
Roger was the only player that looked like he could open the game up with his elusive steps and dangerous running; if the Warriors are to turn their performances around Roger is going to have to insert himself as a playmaker fullback more than he ever has before.

Copyright Photo: Photosport
My Warrior who needs to improve actually goes to Stephen Kearney.
I know that the coach isn't out there missing tackles and failing to deliver on the field but how many times do they Warriors have to fail before he makes the tough calls and makes changes.
His use of the interchange is laughable, and once again he had people scratching their heads when he selected Gerard Beale on his bench with Sam Lisone being suspended, he didn't give Beale any minutes in this match either so why bother having him there.
If you want a back on your bench, I would have gone with Blake Asyhford who can at least fill a spot in the second row.
Kearney has a reputation of not making difficult decisions but he needs to make them now, I would be moving Hiku and Tohu back to the right edge and bringing in either Taane Milne or Patrick Herbert into the left centre spot; with a three forward and one hooker/utility bench.
The only question is will Kearney make the tough calls or just repeat the same mistakes, but with team naming Tuesday tomorrow, we don't have long to wait.

Round four sees the Warriors return to Mount Smart to face the Gold Coast Titans on Friday night.
The Titans are the only side yet to score a win in 2019, so the Warriors should be able to come away with a victory here.
Provided there are some personnel changes and an improved attitude im expecting the Warriors to get the win here.
Im picking the Warriors to win by 12 in what will hopefully be a return to the winner's circle.

So that was an embarrassing Round 3, and as usual, I will leave you with some questions.

What changes need to happen to turn this team around?
Do you think Kearney will make changes?
Are there any positives for you from this game?
What is your score prediction for Round 4?









8 comments:

  1. Darkness is right! Man, that was distressing to witness. But I feel all this stuff has come up at frequent intervals in the Warriors 25 year history. It's like a mystery of modern times: 'What's wrong with the Warriors?' As far as answers go, that is not easy. Confidence is so important in life and our team loses it quickly and often. I refer to my comment last week about Roger being more of a playmaker close to the opposition line if possible (as if he's not doing enough already) and I see you pointed to that as well. Again, I have doubts around our forwards ability to perform well consistently, not just occasionally. And them being a force on defence. We miss Mannering here for sure. And how seriously does Adam Blair take his role in this team? It sometimes looks as though he thinks he's doing us a big favour just by being here and doesn't need to continue to prove himself. Unless giving away penalties is his main talent. For Kearney, we must support him here, and again, remind ourselves that these are very early rounds and plenty of teams have recovered from poor starts. Having said that, the last two games are very worrying. I think the coach will make changes, but they won't come quickly. Of course we should beat the Titans in Auckland but who would put their life on it? All teams win eventually and they will be lining us up as an opportunity while our confidence is low. Warriors by 14. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, it can be frustrating as a fan of this team at times.
      I'm not asking for Kearneys head or anything like that I just think changes need to be made with the game-day 17 and he needs to make them. Nothing drastic but a change in the centres and interchange is needed.

      Delete
  2. Oh so well put ...WHY Beale as a bench player when ws needed a F__king forward,and then he didn't get on the field.. Christ Almighty why not Pulu Or Sao or Satae, are they not up to NRL standard? Hey Steve it's your team, you got the players you want, you let Lino go, you let Sipley go,I'm not concerned about Princess, he didn't have his heart in it, But we got the players ....just put them on the F--king field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beale was a waste of a bench spot, Pulu or Sao should have been there in my opinion.
      I'm still sore that Sipley was allowed to go, I'm a big fan of his thought he was going to be a big part of the Warriors pack.

      Delete
  3. As my one and only live game of the season, I was absolutely gutted. They picked us to pieces. Manly played a good attacking game but the Warriors just looked confused half the time. When Manly offloaded their attack would fire in to action, when the Warriors did the same it seemed like nobody knew what to do. However, as terrible as the last two games have been, I agree with Mark in that it is very early in the season. Plenty of teams have had horror starts and turned it around. It is a concern that we have played so poorly after 2 good preseasons and a cracker round one.

    I absolutely agree that Hiku needs to go back on the right. Kearney obviously recognised that there was an issue somewhere to switch the centres in the first place, hopefully this has given him a better indication of what that is. Beale would still be my choice to bring in at left centre as he has so much first grade experience already. If not Beale, then Herbert. He was amazing in the trials. Milne to me is still an unknown quantity. I would like to see how he performs, but at this point we have players waiting that we know (hope) can do the job. Beale should not have been on the bench. We definitely needed that extra prop. I would leave the rest of the starting lineup as it is. My bench would be Tevaga, Burr, Ah Mau and either Ligi Sao or Satae.

    Do I think any changes will be made?...... no, apart from moving Beale from the bench. Kearney seems intent on having a team that will grow together with consistent game time.

    Positives for me are just the players that didn't completely suck. As you mentioned RTS and Burr. For RTS to still have a good game from that team performance speaks wonders yet again about his quality as a player. Burr is definitely the underated buy of the off season. I think Papalii had a decent game too. His metres weren't that impressive but he racked up 44 tackles (team high) and seamed a lot more composed after a poor game against the Tigers.

    I'm an optimist and do believe the Warriors can bounce back soon. The team isn't much different to last year, they just need to get their heads back in it. I'm going Warriors by 8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that you met up with the VFTES crew, I was very close to coming down after some cheap flights popped up but I'm thankful I didn't waste the $ in the end (will go towards to game in Wellington instead). yes it is early days (2011 the Warriors were 0-3 before heading to the GF) there just needs to be a change soon as the back end of the draw is going to be tough.

    Yes that right edge needs to go back to what it was in 2018, Move Harris and Hiku back there and unleash Fus again.
    Beale is experienced and Herbert was a mnster in the trials so I would be happy with either, Milne has been good in what I have seen in his time at the Tigers and is a useful player and would do the job, the just need anyone but Kata right now, and maybe a drop down to reserve grade will give Kata the kick in the pants he needs.
    Sao needs another shot after being strong at the start of last season before Mannering returned.

    Unfortunately yes I think Kearney will name the same side or if he does make changes it will be in areas the Warriors didnt need to change.

    RTS, Burr and Papali'i were all strong and Burr is the buy of the season to date so far for the Warriors, Isaiah will only get better.

    Warriors by 8 a good prediction, if they cant show up against the Titans i will be worried but I'm sure they can turn this around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, was good to see the VFTES boys. Good buggers. I had 2 of my young kids with me who were looking increasingly bored watching my friends play pool so couldn't talk for too long. There is always the Lions Tour at the end of the year.

      Looks like Kearney has actually granted a couple of our wishes. Hiku is back on the right and Sao is on the bench. I feel a bit sorry for Keighran. He didn't do a great deal wrong and it's a bit of an ask to expect such a fresh player to perform well with a team that has really struggled the last couple of rounds. In saying that, it will answer the question of how well CHT does in first grade. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Lawton brings. He's not as skillful as Roache but plays with a lot of energy and speed.

      Delete
    2. Yeah the VFTES guys are great, always try and catch up with them in the members tent before or after the home games.

      Yeah Kearney has made some changes although I don't agree with them at least changes were made.
      I feel for Keighran too, I think with the effort the forwards have provided the past fortnight even SJ would have not performed, CHT does have the extra flair that perhaps the Warriors need to kick their attack into gear, Sao deserves another shot so I'm happy to see him in, I like Lawton and feel like he can do a fine job until Roache/Luke return. I still feel like Kata needs to be dropped but I don't know how bad he has to be before the plug is pulled.

      Delete