Follow me on Facebook

Sunday, March 27, 2016

NRL 2016 Round 3 Review – Improving But is that enough?

Image from www.warriors.kiwi
Well, the first home game for the Warriors has come and gone with the Warriors falling to the Melbourne Storm 21-14.
I was meant to write earlier than this but emotions were high for me after this game so I have waited until now to compile my thoughts.

The first thing I want to say is that the NRL need to seriously look into Henry Perena’s performances, he had an absolutely horrendous performance in this game and after watching him this round he was possibly even worse.
Players are held accountable when they do not perform and the referees need the same treatment.
Now please don’t take that as me saying the referees cost the Warriors the game because I don’t believe that to be the case, the Warriors had enough chances to take this game but they just didn’t play smart enough.
When the game was tied at 14 all with ten minutes to go the Warriors had good enough field position to go for a field goal but they did not take it, Melbourne, on the other hand, took this opportunity given to them and marched up the field and slotted the goal.
The Warriors now a point behind tried to pull a Rabbit (Ha-ha it’s Easter, you see what I did there) out of the hat and wound up standing under their own posts after Marika Koroibete scooped a dropped ball and scored a try to close out the game.
It was a horrible drive home for me, anger was one of the many emotions filling my car, the Warriors were so close to breaking their win drought but just could not close the game out.
The hosts of the radio station I was listening too said the Warriors showed improvement and while this is true they need to start playing smart and converting improved performances into victories.

My player of the game was Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for the second week in a row.
His defense is continuing to get better each week (No missed tackles from him this week) and he ran for 231 metres, he has run for 200+ metres every game this year.
If he can start running off the shoulders of the forwards ready for offloads he could start converting those runs into points.
I also want to give a special mention to Jazz Tevaga, he was a late call-up with Issac Luke being ruled out last minute and played very well in his debut, his future will be a bright one especially being able to learn from a veteran like Luke.

Unfortunately, my player who needs to improve is also unchanged from last week in Shaun Johnson.
Shaun did run a bit more but his last tackle options are just not up to the standard they need to be.
He has come out this week and said that his confidence is still up after his injury last season but I feel that his breakout game is just around the corner.
Shaun will be back to his best, the fans will just be hoping it is sooner rather than later.

This week the Warriors are hosting the Newcastle Knights on Easter Monday.
Monday games are horrible for me as a fan because I hate waiting that long to watch the Warriors play.
The Warriors should get the victory over the lacklustre Knights and if they don’t walk away with the win all the talk of them improving will be thrown out the window.
I believe the Warriors will run away with this game and I must say that I cannot wait for them to get their first win and also finally get to see Konrad Hurrell play again, I feel that his blockbusting runs have been sorely missed and with Manu Vatuvei still out they need him out there to help add an extra punch to the hit-ups coming out of their own 20.


So Monday Football here we come, let’s see the end of the streak and I will talk to you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment